Every so often we may feel that it is time that we deserve a pay rise. This could be because you feel that you are working hard but often it is because we need extra money to cover our costs, repay a loan or save up for something. It is wise to try to reduce your spending in this sort of situation so that you can have the most available for the necessities that you need to pay for. However, it can be difficult to do this or it may not be enough and so a pay rise could be your only choice. Sometimes it can seem like this will be a very difficult thing to achieve. However, there are things that you could do so that you can get paid more.
- Work more hours – if you have the opportunity to work more hours then this will get you more pay. This may not be the way that you are hoping to get more money, it is obviously better to get more pay for the same work, but there may not be this opportunity. You may have some spare time that you will be able to use by working more, but this will not be the case for everyone depending on what other commitments they have.
- Find out how to get a rise – If you do want to try for a pay rise then you need to know how they are awarded in the company that you work for Some have a specific procedure for applying or you may have to prove yourself during your appraisal or something like that. Find out if there is anything formal that you have to do. You could look at company policy on their website, speak to a colleague or your boss to find out.
- Work hard– if you are looking for a pay rise then this is a good time to start working extra hard. You want to make yourself seen and make sure that people feel you deserve a rise. You should not be too obvious, but just getting your head down, working hard and producing results should be enough. Do everything that you are asked without complaint and stay late to do extra work if necessary.
- Do more than necessary – it can be good to do even more than this. If you can ask people if they need help and do a bit more than necessary for your job then this should help you to show how enthusiastic you are and how much you are prepared to do. You need to prove that you are worth more money.
- Do some training – it is worth thinking about whether doing some training will help you. If you can learn some new things then you might become a more valued member of the company and they may reward you for this. If you have to pay for the training then you will have to think about whether you are prepared to risk investing that money in your future and whether you feel that there is any training that you can do which will increase your chances of getting a pay rise. It would be well worth discussing this with your boss or employer before you try it.
- Look for promotion opportunities – it might be easier to find an opportunity to get a promotion rather than trying to look to get more money in your current role. It is worth finding out whether someone in the role that you do could get more pay or whether you have hit a ceiling and need to think about looking elsewhere. Take a look at what other positions are available and think about whether they are roles that you like or would like to do and if you have the right qualifications and experience to be able to do the job.
- Consider changing jobs – it might be that you will need to change company in order to earn more money. Sometimes applying or a job with a new company can be the only way that it is possible to get a pay rise. This can be much more daunting as working with a new team in a new company is something that is unknown. It is possible you may have to travel further or do a harder job as well. However, it is well worth looking to see what opportunities are available so that you can decide whether this will be a good option for you.
This may seem like a big effort and you will have to decide whether you think that it is worth it. Obviously, you will need to think about your financial situation and whether you feel that you need to get a pay rise and therefore need to try one or more of these things.